1. Ohio State 4-0: The defense was solid again, and the offense struggled again as they beat Western Michigan 38-12. The Spartans also had troubles with Western Michigan.
2. Ole Miss 4-0: Very unimpressive win by Ole Miss, but TCU’s win turned my stomach. I had to move Ole Miss past them after seeing that farce of a game. Vanderbilt is not a good team and they slowed the Rebels and played them tough before Ole Miss prevailed 27-16.
3. Georgia 4-0: We will find out if Georgia is good next week against Alabama. Chubb and the gang beat up a 7th grade team on Saturday, but at least they know what a defense is. Georgia vs Alabama could be the game of the year and we will find if Georgia is the real deal and if Alabama loses they are done for 2015. The Bulldogs beat Southern 48-6, but they had to be looking ahead.
4. TCU 4-0: Was very fortunate to survive a trip to Lubbock and beat Texas Tech in a shoot out. Patterson was supposed to be a defensive guru and I am not sure if the Frogs have anything resembling defenders at this point. The Frogs won 55-52 on one of the more lucky plays you will ever see. Luck only holds on for so long.
5. Baylor 3-0: The Bears put on their typical run up the score show to impress voters. Probably, voters will be impressed.
6. Florida State 3-0: Week off with Wake Forest next.
7. Notre Dame 4-0: Notre Dame got a scare at first from Massachusetts of the MAC. But, they bounced back and won 62-27. The Irish lost so many starters already and luckily have good depth, but it has to catch up with them at some point. Another big test comes for the Irish this next Saturday at Clemson, but you know what SEC fans say. Notre Dame never plays anybody.
8. Michigan State 4-0: Connor Cook and the Spartan offense has not looked good. The AP has them at #2. Huh? They survived another inferior opponent with a 30-10 win over Central Michigan. Their claim to fame was beating Oregon who just got exposed last night by Utah. The Spartans are undefeated and must remain in the top 10, but they are going to have to start playing better on both sides of the ball.
9. LSU 3-0: Lot’s of people are picking LSU to win the SEC and go to the playoffs. Leonard Fournette is incredible, but the Tigers struggled to beat Syracuse with their 5th string Quarterback in the lineup. LSU won 34-24, but Fournette was the only impressive show going on there.
10. Alabama 3-1: Bama is the nation’s favorite team to bash right now. Everyone is saying the dynasty is over. As Lee Corso would say on ESPN Game Day, not so fast. The season is a long way from over. Ole Miss was very, very fortunate to come out of Tuscaloosa with a win and the Tide still has plenty of talent. If they beat Georgia next Saturday, look for people to jump right back on the bandwagon.
11. Clemson 3-0: Idle this week, but Notre Dame comes to town this next weekend.
12. Texas A%M 4-0: Survived a very overrated 3 loss Arkansas team. Yes, I overrated them myself based on how they finished last season. The Aggies ranking comes from beating Arizona State who got crushed last night by USC at home. If the Aggies are good, they have some better teams coming to town soon.
13. Oklahoma 3-0: Sooners were idle. They have a really improved West Virginia coming to Norman this next week. The Mountaineers are a much better team at home than on the road and I like the Sooners chances here. Although, they did not look good defensively against Tulsa.
14. UCLA 4-0: The Bruins beat down previously undefeated Arizona with ease and coasted to a 56-30 win. UCLA has some big tests ahead, but Josh Rosen has changed this team offensively. Defense has lost some key starters which is a concern.
15. USC 3-1: The Trojans obliterated the Sun Devils in Tempe. They still have a shot at a playoff but can’t slip up another game. This team is loaded, but very young.
16. Mississippi State 3-1: The Bulldogs beat Auburn at Auburn, 17-9. They play the Aggies next in College Station, Texas. It’s hard to get a read on the Bulldogs, but they played LSU tight.
17. Michigan 3-1: I am anxious to see what the Wolverines look like when Jim Harbaugh has been there a couple of seasons. This team is really one of the more impressive ones in the top 25 right now. Great defense, with ball control offense and Iowa transfer Quarterback Jake Rudock is looking like a brand new man, now. This is the team I would want to play for if I was a 5 star recruit.
18. Utah 4-0: The Utes just kicked Oregon all over the field in Autzen Stadium, 62-20. Oregon was highly overrated going in. The AP had them in their top 6 or 7, and I had them in the teens. You just can’t lose a Marcus Mariota and not have much of a defense to begin with and win a bunch of games every season. Oregon will bounce back.
19. Stanford 3-1: See Michigan. Ball control offense with a great defense still wins games. The Stanford Cardinal stunk it up in Evanston against Northwestern, but have gotten it back together. They beat Oregon State 42-24 on Friday Night.
20. Boise State 3-1: The Broncos crushed Virginia, 56-14, on Friday Night with a true freshman Quarterback getting his first start.
21. Texas Tech 3-1: Red Raiders should have beaten TCU on Saturday if not for a fluke play at the end. Look for some classic fan favorite games against Baylor, OU and maybe a few more as they try to outscore each other Playstation style.
22. Wisconsin 3-1: The Badgers switched coaches this year, but the results are basically the same. They beat Hawaii 28-0.
23. Duke 3-1: Very impressive win over Georgia Tech, 34-20. The defense arose when needed and Safety Jeremy Cash had a monster day for Duke. His Defensive Back sidekick DeVon Edwards had a Kickoff return for a Touchdown. Duke ruined Georgia Tech’s hopes of recovering from the Notre Dame loss.
24. California 4-0: The Golden Bears beat Washington to remain undefeated.
25. Oklahoma State 4-0: The Cowboys got very lucky against a 1-3 Texas and they have a tough road ahead.