1. Ohio State 9-0: The Buckeyes keep the number 1 spot but I considered moving Clemson up here. Ohio State survived an inspired Minnesota Gopher team, 28-14. They need JT Barrett back from suspension quickly. They have Michigan State and Michigan remaining on their schedule.
2. Alabama 8-1: Oh, Danny Kanell how are you feeling about Alabama now? Bama’s defense is tailor made to stop the running offenses of the LSU type teams and it worked again as they shut down the Tigers. Bama will only be beat by a balanced offense.
3. Clemson 9-0: The Tigers had a very impressive win over one of their chief rivals Florida State, 23-13. The Playoff Committee has Clemson at number 1.
4. Baylor 8-0: The Bears struggled against a really bad Kansas State but still managed a win.
5. Notre Dame 8-1: The Irish keep losing players, but keep plugging along. They got by a pretty good Pittsburgh team 42-30.
6. Stanford 8-1: Dominating in typical Stanford fashion with a 42-10 beating of Colorado.
7. LSU 7-1: The Tigers took it on the chin on Saturday Night, but don’t be fooled. They are probably still going to beat everyone else on their schedule.
8. Oklahoma 8-1: The Sooners continued their dominating ways as they crushed Iowa State, 52-16. Don’t completely rule out the Sooners for a playoff berth which is why the talk of playoffs during every single broadcast game is ridiculous.
9. Oklahoma State 9-0: The Cowboys crushed previously unbeaten TCU, 49-29. I am frankly sort of surprised since the Cowboys needed some really bad officiating to beat a bad Texas team.
10. Florida 8-1: The Gators are really great on defense, but their offense is weak beating Vanderbilt, 9-7 at home. Just remember, unbeaten Houston beat Vandy 34-0.
11. Michigan State 8-1: Finally, their luck came to an end with a last minute loss to Nebraska, 38-39. I love the Spartans, but they have been pushing it all year long and it finally crashed in on them.
12. TCU 8-1: The Frogs got surprised in Stillwater on Saturday with the Cowboys coming out on top 29-49.
13. Michigan 7-2: The Wolverines just crushed Rutgers 49-16 and I am continuing to say they are the best 2 loss team in the nation. Wait until harbaugh has been there a couple of seasons.
14. Iowa 9-0: Iowa hasn’t really played anyone that tough yet other than Wisconsin and Indiana put up a really nice fight before going down, 35-27. They have a really good defense which shows just how dangerous Indiana is. If Indiana fires their coach, I will publicly slam them here on this blog. If Iowa beats Northwestern and Minnesota, they will move way closer to the top 4.
15. Florida State 7-2: The Seminoles lost to Clemson 13-23, but they are still a good team.
16. Houston 9-0: The Cougars barely slipped by 523 passing yards by Gunner Kiel and Cincinnati, 33-30 to remain unbeaten. Houston has Memphis next and then UConn and Navy before a possible American Athletic Conference championship game to finish undefeated. Don’t sleep on Navy who just beat Memphis.
17. North Carolina 8-1: Clemson had better be ready for the Tar Heels in the ACC championship game. They may be about as good as anyone in the country right now after beating a good Duke team, 66-31. They do have tough games remaining with Miami, Virginia Tech and North Carolina State, so they aren’t in yet. But, they are looking better and better each week.
18. Memphis 8-1: Once unbeaten Memphis went down to Navy on Saturday to fall from the ranks. They can still win their conference by winning out and a little luck.
19. Temple 8-1: Temple crushed SMU, but gave up a lot of points. They will still win their division of the AAC and play Houston, Memphis or Navy for the championship.
20. Utah 8-1: The Utes barely survived in Seattle, 34-23 on late scores. They have a favorable schedule remaining and could move back up and they can even win the Pac 12 still.
21. UCLA 7-2: When you have a true freshman Quarterback, the games can be inconsistent. However, Josh Rosen was back to his normal self against Oregon State in leading the Bruins to a nice 41-0 win. They still have a shot at winning the Pac 12, too, by winning out. But, they have a tough schedule.
22. Mississippi State 7-2: Mississippi State lost to LSU and strangely to a psycho Aggie squad. They will have a tough finishing up with Bama next and then Arkansas, plus rival Ole Miss.
23. Wisconsin 8-2: The Badgers are not a bad team at all. They lost in game one to Alabama with a brand new coach and then they lost to still unbeaten Iowa. Iowa will have to lose 2 games for the Badgers to win the Big 10 West and that’s probably not happening.
24. Northwestern 7-2: Northwestern beat Penn State and made Penn State’s offense look pretty bad.
25. Navy 7-1: The Naval Academy’s only loss was to Notre Dame. They are a tough team to prepare for because of their offense. They might be the best service academy team in years and could make a late run if they win out.
25 tie. Toledo 7-1: You can’t remove the fact that they beat Arkansas. They did have their first loss this past week, but they still beat Arkansas.