1. Alabama 9-1: The Crimson Tide is just playing better than anyone else right now. They are destroying everyone in their path. I really think nobody will beat them if they keep playing well.
2. Clemson 10-0: The Tigers had a tough time with Syracuse which was also true for LSU when they visited Syracuse. The Playoff Selection Committee has the Tigers at #1, but they are my #2. They are good, but I think that Bama would beat them right now.
3. Ohio State 10-0: Let’s just be honest, the Buckeyes have under performed all year long. The tweeting and the nonsense may have caused too many distractions. They pulled away late from a very average Illinois squad. They’ve been my top team all year, but the average play finally got to me.
4. Notre Dame 9-1: Ho hum day against Wake Forest but enough to keep them in the mix. To the Playoff Committee, Notre Dame will be this year’s Ohio State, so why fight it.
5. Oklahoma 9-1: Oklahoma went into Waco and shot a hole in all the national experts dreams by beating Baylor. The Sooners have been terrorizing opponents since they lost a strange one to Texas.
6. Oklahoma State 10-0: The Cowboys had their hands full in Ames, Iowa with Iowa State, but rallied to win. Oklahoma State has had a lot of rallies and close calls this season but keeps surviving. I am not all that sure they belong in the top 10, but they have not been beaten.
7. Florida 9-1: The Gators had a battle with South Carolina but they are winning these close games this season instead of losing. This offense will cost them a big loss versus Alabama in the SEC Championship game. But, Bama has proven that the SEC is pretty much Alabama yet again.
8. Iowa 10-0: The Hawkeyes struggled against a better than their record indicates Minnesota team.
9. Michigan State 9-1: The Spartans struggled for a while with Maryland and Quarterback Connor Cook had injury problems. The Spartans pulled away late. Next up for Michigan State is Ohio State.
10. Baylor 8-1: I’ve been trying to tell everyone all season. First real game resulting in first loss. On the road, this would have been a blowout loss for the Bears. People had Baylor WR Corey Coleman as one of the front runners for the Heisman, but amazing things can happen when you play a real team as he was held to 3 catches for 51 yards and most of the yardage came on one catch.
11. TCU 9-1: The Frogs had problems with the worse team in America in Kansas. They lost Trevone Boykin to injury and somehow survived
12. Michigan 8-2: Michigan beat Indiana in Double Overtime in one of the better games of the season.
13. North Carolina 9-1: Tar Heels blew out Miami almost as badly as Clemson did. They might should be ranked higher.
14. Stanford 8-2: The Cardinal blew their shot outside shot for a playoff berth with a heartbreaking loss to rival Oregon.
15. FSU 8-2: Florida State had to fight from behind against North Carolina State, but they did manage to win. They still have a shot at a good Bowl Game.
16. LSU 7-2: All of the talking heads had LSU as a Playoff team before the season even started and they are now falling apart. Arkansas generally gives LSU a tough game, but they ripped the Tigers apart on Saturday Night. Tiger fans were piling out early in the 4th quarter. I suppose better booze awaited outside. Fournette was held to 91 yards and his Heisman dreams are shattered.
17. Houston 10-0: It might be time to consider Houston. With their back up Quarterback they came from behind and beat a good Memphis team in the last minute. Good teams do what it takes to win. Lack of fan support in Houston will drive their new coach out pretty quickly.
18. Wisconsin 8-2: Badgers were off this week. Their only losses were to Alabama and Iowa, two undefeated teams. Wisconsin is looking better and better.
19. Memphis 8-2: Memphis lost a last second heart breaker to Houston. But, they still dominated Ole Miss.
20. Utah 8-2: The Utes lost at Arizona. The pundits that had them at #3 early in the season should publicize an apology.
21. Navy 8-1: That Navy offense is a tough one to stop and they keep winning. Their only loss continues to be Notre Dame.
22. Northwestern 8-2: Northwestern continues playing great defense, but they had a rough time with 2-8 Purdue before winning 21-14.
23. Mississippi State 7-3: The Bulldogs got beat handily by the Crimson Tide of Alabama and they are here by default at this point.
24. Toledo 8-1: Toledo slipped by their mid week game against Central Michigan. I can’t get past the fact that they beat Arkansas.
25. Oregon 7-3: The Ducks upset Stanford on Saturday night and they are playing pretty well now. If not for early season losses, they might have been a contender. Next season, they will start over yet again with the loss of transfer Quarterback Vernon Adams.